San Glorio Pass – Coriscao Summit
Snowshoeing in Picos de Europa
This beautiful snowshoeing route will delight us with breathtaking views over the valley of Liébana, the three massifs of the spectacular Picos de Europa and the wild and grandiose Cantabrian Mountains.
This is a route of moderate difficulty for those mountaineers who will undoubtedly enjoy a wonderful day on snowshoes and who will be able to observe unprecedented views throughout their journey.
Although it is a modest summit, it is isolated and solitary, which gives us an impressive 360º panoramic view with its 2,234 meters of altitude that will not leave us indifferent.
- Starting point: Puerto San Glorio ( National 621 Potes-Riaño Leon)
- Positive elevation gain: 634 meters.
- Difficulty: Medium.
- Duration of the complete activity: 3 to 4 hours for the ascent and 2 to 3 hours for the descent. Total, approximately 5 to 6 hours.
To do this route it is necessary to be in good shape, other than being accustomed to hiking routes of 7 hours duration and 700 meters of positive difference in altitude.
Material required per participant:
- High winter boots with Goretex or similar.
- High technical winter socks.
- Winter technical mountain pants.
- Technical long sleeve thermal T-shirt.
- Soft sell or Primalofth type jacket or fleece.
- Goretex type waterproof jacket.
- Fat winter gloves.
- Medium or thin winter gloves.
- Approved sunglasses (cat 3).
- High protection sunscreen (SPF50).
- Lip balm.
- Backpack minimum 30L.
- Water bottle or thermos minimum 1L.
- Food (sandwiches, dried fruits, bars, chocolate bars, etc.).
The meeting will take place in the parking lot of the lower station of the Fuente De cable car, the schedule will depend on the time of the year and will be subject to the fixed schedules of the cable car. (The guide, once the reservation has been made, will inform the participant of the schedule, how to make the cable car reservation in advance and will provide the location of the meeting point).
Once introduced to the guide, he will provide the necessary material and a previous review and preparation of all the material will be done. Already equipped and ready, we will take the cable car cabin that will take us on a journey of about 4 minutes only to the upper station, saving a drop of 753 meters, and that will place us at an altitude of 1,823 meters at a speed of 10 m/s.
After some basic notions of progression we will begin to walk through the snow towards the lakes of Lloroza, the guide will inform and give explanations about the environment and the different summits that will be in our sight.
When we reach the lake area we will look for a nice and quiet place where we can have a snack and at the same time there will be time to have fun on a steep slope. Afterwards, we will return to the cable car and take a different and easy route similar to the one we took on our way out.