West face of Picu Urriellu – Guided climb
Opened on August 11, 1978 by Alfonso Cerdán, Juan Carlos Ferrer and the brothers Jose Luis and Juan Carlos García Gallego, the Murciana 78 is a route that runs directly and elegantly through the central part of the spectacular and imposing west face of the Naranjo de Bulnes / Picu Urriellu. Its route of moderate difficulty and magnificent rock makes it one of the most repeated routes on the west face of the Naranjo de Bulnes, also because the route can be rappelled and does not require great commitment.
The continuity of the climb is broken by two pitches that overcome an overhang in the initial part, these pitches can be solved in artificial climbing without much difficulty, bearing in mind that you have to know how to use the stirrups.
- Approach: From the Vega de Urriellu hut to the foot of the trail, approximately 20 minutes.
- Length of climb: approximately 500 m of climbing.
- Difficulty: 6a required
- Duration of the complete activity: About 6-8 hours for the climb and about two hours for the approach and return (Total about 10 hours).
- Descent: In three rappels on the south face.
To perform this activity it is necessary to have an excellent physical condition and to be used to perform high mountain routes of a minimum duration of 8 hours and 1000 m of positive difference in altitude. In addition, it is necessary to have a climbing grade of 6b on sight and experience in classic climbing or to have done another classic climb previously with the guide.
Equipment required per participant: (Depending on the time of year and weather conditions this information may vary in number and type of clothing and footwear. The guide will inform upon reservation)
- Technical trekking boots
- Trekking poles
- Long elastic mountain pants
- Technical short sleeve mountain t-shirt
- Technical long sleeve mountain t-shirt
- Softshell / primaloft
- Down or fiber jacket
- Medium or light gloves (optional)
- Cell phone with charged battery
- Headlamp with batteries (important)
- Solarcream SPF 50
- Mountain backpack 40L
- Canteen or water bottle minimum 2L
- Refreshments during activity (bars, dried fruits, etc.)
Once at the summit we have time to eat something to eat, take some pictures and chat. Afterwards, we will begin the descent by the same path that we climbed up to the rappels.
We will make three rappels and arrive at the base where we will pick up and begin the descent to the Vega by the same route we took on the way down.
Normally between 14:00 and 16:00 we are back at the shelter.