Guided climbing in Picos de Europa – Massif Central
This spectacular spire is located in the central massif of the Picos de Europa National Park, near the upper station of the Fuente Dé cable car.
It is considered as an initiation climb in a privileged High Mountain environment, its short approach, comfortable descent and low difficulty make this activity an unforgettable experience that as a first contact with mountaineering and climbing is frankly perfect.
Opened in January 1966 by Pedro Udaondo y Urones.
- How to get there: From the top station of the Fuente Dé cable car to the foot of the track, approximately 30 minutes or 45 minutes, depending on the access.
- Length of the climb: 120 m of climbing approx.
- Difficulty: Maximum difficulty is IVº.
- Duration of the complete activity: About 2 hours for the climb and an hour and a half for the approach and return (total 4 to 5 hours of activity).
- Descent: In three rappels on the same route.
To do this activity, participants do not need to have previous climbing experience, although it is advisable to have done it before on natural rock.
Participants must have a minimum level of physical fitness and be used to doing sports and mountain routes of at least 4 to 6 hours duration and 500 metres of positive vertical drop.
Equipment required per participant: Depending on the time of year and weather conditions, this information may vary in number and type of clothing and footwear. The guide will provide information upon reservation
- Technical trekking boots
- Trekking poles
- Long elastic mountain pants
- Technical short sleeve mountain t-shirt
- Technical long sleeve mountain t-shirt
- Softshell / primaloft
- Down or fiber jacket
- Medium or light gloves (optional)
- Cell phone with charged battery
- Headlamp with batteries (important)
- Solarcream SPF 50
- Mountain backpack 40L
- Canteen or water bottle minimum 2L
- Refreshments during activity (bars, dried fruits, etc.)
Normally this activity starts from the Fuente De cable car, but it can also be done from the Aliva hotel by car from the village of Espinama. The guide will inform you of the access when you make your reservation, as it will depend on the time of year due to the cable car timetables and the large number of visitors to the cable car in high season, which can be a problem both for obtaining passes and for the long queues that can form.
The walk to the Aguja from the Hotel de Aliva takes about 45 minutes and from the cable car it takes about 30 minutes. In either case it is a walk along a track that is easy to walk and with hardly any gradients.
When we arrive at the foot of the Aguja, we will be given the instructions on progression and safety for the climb and we will equip ourselves to begin the climb.
The route follows a beautiful spiral route around the entire Needle, thus finding the easiest parts of the route.
We will climb 4 rope pitches until we reach the summit, after taking some photos and snacks we will start the descent, which will be done by 3 rappels until we reach the base again.
"The guide, once the booking has been made, will inform the participant of the meeting time and place, which will depend on the opening hours of the Fuente Dé cable car and the time of year".